Monday, October 31, 2011

Measurement of Change

Today I took my first APFT in 2 years.  Yeah, normally taken every 6 months, but after partially tearing a tendon in my shoulder while in the M5 course I was taking any chances.  The Ortho doc said surgery was a last option because it was only half torn and I didn't want surgery anyways.  Did some Physical Therapy, stretched, rested, rested, rested, and did some more resting.  About 6 months ago, I finally began to do some working out with my shoulder, doing push ups etc.  I could have been running and working my abs the entire time but I had been severely lacking in the self-motiviation area and I really hate to run alone.  So, during this deployment I did some soul-searching and as I've posted recently, I started working out again consistently.  Charged hard but rested my shoulder when I needed to, no sense or desire to tear it again.

The time came for an OER for this deployment and my boss, MAJ. Marcus Lee, said I needed to take the APFT at the end of October for my eval.  I was more than willing to take it, but warned him that if my shoulder didn't feel right I was stopping and getting a temp profile.  Luckily he understands and isn't a stuck-up nurse.

Halloween came, APFT completed, and I must say I'm happy with my performance.  249/300 overall score: 53 (77% push ups), 73 (96% sit ups), 15:49 (76% run).  Given the conditions for the run, I still a little disappointed with it but was sick for 3 days from all the Afghan dust I inhaled.  When I arrived to Dwyer, I could barely do 10-15 push ups with my shoulder, 30-40 sit ups, and normally ran 2 miles in 16-17" in ideal conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment