I don't know why but doing the same thing over and over again has never really appealed to me. Try as might, there always seems to be a sense of dragging my butt around and then finally after weeks of putting it off I finally add another notch in my belt. Journals, blogs, exercise, reading a book, watching a TV series, taking up a hobby; the list goes on.
Anyway, it's now that point where I've procrastinated enough that I need to write another entry. I just returned from a Nursing subject matter expert exchange with the AFP, Armed Forces of the Philippines, Nurse Corps. One week spent in Makati, lecturing to 32 of their military nurses on topics ranging from BLS to blast trauma, casting to suturing, ACLS and TNCC. Overall, I think it went well considering the US Air Force backed out of it's 2.5 days of activities at the last minute d/t the Tsunami in Japan. I had to come up with 2.5 more days of material to fill in the slots. I had a little help from my teaching companion and some other personnel from the operations side.
I think most if not all came away with valuable information and resources to take back to their commands and teach their fellow staff. I came away amazed at the Filipino military and the nurses in particular. Their mentality towards service to country and selflessness is, in my opinion, more than in the US. The conditions they work in, the lack of equipment, lack of staff, and numerous other maladies were very surprising and I can't help but feel grateful and humbled when returning to my position within the military. I've taken for granted many things in my life but I think this one might take the cake!
Thanks to several new friends for a great time!
No comments:
Post a Comment